Coaches, wrestlers and friends in the sport of wrestling: Coach Latora will be hosting the Latora Leg Camp at the following locations:
Coach Latora was a two time Michigan MHSAA State champion in 1981-82.
He was also a 4 year starter at the University of Michigan from 1983-1987. Coach Latora is a leg ride specialist.
They have tremendous success and their camps continue to grow. Coach Latora has provided all the details in the flyer attached below. Coach invites you to register any interested parties or forward this email to any others that may be interested in attending the leg camp. For further information contact personnel list in the flyer.
This is not hosted by, organized or sponsored by the West Region MYWAY or the MYWAY organization.
Thanks and kind regards,
Steve Gross MYWAY West Region Director
On behalf of the MYWAY West Region board we would like to congratulate the West Region wrestling family on another great and successful year. The growth of these "kids" into young men and women, both on the mat and off the mat is satisfying as well as rewarding.
For those wrestlers moving on to the next chapter-high school we wish you the best of luck and many successes. Please continue to work hard and continue to improve both in the class room and on the mat. Just as in life, wrestling is a journey that will have many ups and downs. This sport will humble you, provide you with a work ethic second to none, make you stronger and better person. That is why wrestling is the greatest sport.
Wendi and I would like to thank you for letting us be part of your wrestler's development and experience. We are truly blessed to have so many wrestlers to cheer for, shear their joy and happiness when they win as well their disappointment and hurt when they loss. But there are no losers in wrestling. As one of my mentors once told me, "It is always better to have wrestled and lost; then never to have wrestled at all.
Finish the school year strong, have a great summer and we look forward to seeing all of you next wrestling season.
Folkstyle link: https://www.nuwaymembership.com/tournament-info/3553/
Freestyle link: https://www.nuwaymembership.com/tournament-info/3554/
All HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS will require coaches passes for coaches at mat side of on the floor.
They have been accounted for in the Clubs and West Region Unaffiliated allocations.
COACHES CREDENTIALS HAVE BEEN POSTED ON THE MYWAY WEBSITE. GO TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP HEADQUARTERS.
If there are 8 wrestlers or less on a bracket then their wrestlers will not wrestle until the day 2 of their scheduled competition.
The only 2 age groups this does not pertain to is age groups 2000-1998 and 2002-2001, which are the High School groups.
Please advise your parents and wrestlers–
There is NO POUND(S) ALLOWANCE FOR REGIONALS for any age group.
Weight classes are the same as they have been all 2016-2017 season.
The “growth” allowance is ONLY FOR STATE if you qualify.
Hope all is well. Please accept my sincere apology for sending emails that are redundant. We doing everything humanly possible to
make sure the west region wrestling family has information needed so there isn’t any surprises this weekend.
We are relying on you to pass along this information onto to your parents and wrestlers.
Regional Notes & Reminders:
There isn’t any split times this weekend.
A Regional bracket with 16 wrestlers or less will qualify the top 4 place winners to States.
A Regional bracket with 17 wrestlers or more will qualify the top 5 place winners to States.
There will be NO combining weights for regionals. There is NO novice tournament – just Open division
If a wrestler who qualifies for states by being in the top 4 or 5 decides not to go to States then the 5th & 6th placers can be bumped
up to be eligible to compete at states.
Note: the 5th & 6th place finishers who would like to bump if they can MUST fill out the bump form and must wait at the tournament to bump in case a higher place
finisher doesn’t want to go to state.
WE WILL BE WRESTLING OUT TO 5TH & 6TH PLACES AT THE REGIONAL TOURNAMENT. CHECK THE BRACKET BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE TOURNAMENT.
HS Age Groups qualify top 4 placers only
All Age Groups ~ Regional Championship Medals: 1st-6th Place
Age Groups 03-02, 05-04, 07-06, 05-04, & 12-10 will receive a one pound allowance at States
All wrestlers MUST notify Regional staff when picking up medals if they will be attending States. If yes,
All wrestlers MUST register and pay the $30.00 State fee at the Regional tournament. If you leave the tournament
you will not be able to register for the state tournament
Payment is to be made in cash – no checks or credit cards.
PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR PARENTS WHO REGISTER THEIR WRESTLER IS AWARE OF THIS.
All wrestlers must be per-registered by this Thursday March 16th, 2017 by 10:00PM. NO EXCETIONS.
Once registration is closed there will be NO ADDING of any wrestlers. Registration is open now.
At weigh-ins it is one step on at the scale. Whatever the scale says you weigh that is your weight recorded. NO CUTTING WEIGHT.
Make sure if a wrestler has a skin disorder that they have MHSSA form completed and signed by a doctor with them at weigh-ins.
Good luck to all the wrestlers, parents and coaches this weekend.
Thanks and kind regards,
Steve Gross MYWAY West Region Director
For the MYWAY GREIGHTS TOURNAMENT in FREMONT, on March 12, Byron Center will NOT be a weigh in site due to other commitments by their staff. We will have Ravenna become a STATEWIDE weigh in site for this event only. Times and the address are listed on the flyer.
MYWAY TEAM DUAL STATE
Team State Dual Satellite Weigh-In ONLY at Lowell High School (Athletic Hallway) Friday 7:00-8:00 PM
THIS IS NOT A STATEWIDE WEIGH-IN SITE FOR THE FREMONT WEST REGION OR THE WEST REGION GREIGHTS TOURNAMENT THIS SUNDAY MARCH 12TH, 2017 OR ANY OTHER MYWAY REGION TOURNAMENT ON SUNDAY
11700 Vergennes St SE, Lowell, MI 49331
Site Manager: Rob Stehley
Check your brackets by 7 pm the night before the event (Trackwrestling.com).
If you have issues immediately email Wendi Gross with the problem: email@example.com
You must let Wendi know by 8:30am if you are NOT going to make it to the tournament. This goes for morning and afternoon sessions.
Some points of interest and reminders.
- All clubs must have completed and returned their concussion certificate and background checks prior to Sunday December 4th.
- You must pay your 2016-2017 annual Clubs fees – if you haven’t already.
- ALL wrestlers must be registered and have a ID number to be eligible to wrestle in a tournament.
- ALL wrestlers must be pre-registered BY NO LATER THEN 10:00PM THURSDAY NIGHT.
The West Region does NOT accept walk ups.
- Please make sure you per-register the wrestler in the right tournament. Either open or novice – not both.
- Age group 10-12 (5-6 Yr. olds). There will only be a open tournament –There will be no novice tournament.
- Age group 03-02 (Oldest age group). There will only be a open tournament –There will be no novice tournament.
- ALL wrestlers will pay their tournament entry fee at the scales. They need to pay their $10 BEFORE they will be allowed to step on the scale.
- Remind parents and wrestlers it is a ONE step on weigh-in. There will be no check scales at the weigh in sites. Absolutely no cutting weight at the scales
- All wrestlers must and will weigh in in either their singlets or gym shorts. Gym shorts are shorts that are worn out in the public and public places. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Brackets will be posted on track wrestling Saturday night.
- There will be no changes made to the brackets after 8:30AM Sunday morning. All changes must made prior to 8:30AM.
- Only the following changes will be made to brackets they are the following:
- If the wrestler is entered in the wrong age group.
- Entered in wrong weight class.
- Left off the chart by mistake.
- The head pairer – is the only one that can make changes to the brackets.
- No weigh-ins on the morning of the tournament. All weigh-ins will be held on Friday night.
- No walk ups allowed. Everyone must be pre-register. No exceptions.
- Tournament will be starting at 9:00AM
- Any communicable skin problem or condition needs have the MHSAA Communicable form filled out properly and signed by a doctor, if it looks questionable our Officials or designated person at weigh-ins will not pass your wrestler during skin checks. No Exceptions. We take this very seriously. It is for the safety of the other wrestlers, officials and tournament workers.
- Wrestlers must be clean shaven, fingernails clipped, must wear mouth guard if wearing braces, and must wear headgear. No tape on the head gear. No tape on the shoes, only on the shoe laces.
- Hair caps attached to headgear Mandatory for wrestlers not groomed to HS standards. No exceptions.
Thank you, we look forward to a great year of wrestling and appreciate your participation and support for west region wrestling.
Please call me for any questions at: Cell 616-902-5259 after 5:00PM and before 9:00pm.
Good luck to all the west region wrestling family.
Steve Gross, West Region MYWA Director.
Your team admin should have received an email for the Concussion certificates.
If not here is the information sent out earlier.
This year Concussion Certification will be a requirement for all MYWAY Clubs to be in compliance with Michigan State Law. The law requires all coaches, employees, volunteers and other adults who are involved with Youth or High School athletic activities to complete the concussion awareness online training course(s) listed below. For your Club Membership to be activated for MYWAY registration this year you will have to take the CDC and/or the NFHS online concussion course(s). The CDC course link is for those involved with participants 12 years of age and under. The NFHS course link is for those involved with participants 13-18 years of age. You must take the course(s) that apply to your age level of athletes. If you have kids in both groups you will need to complete both courses. The courses are about 30 minutes each and at the end it will provide you with a certificate of completion. PLEASE save or print that certificate. Your certificate along with any other coaches, volunteers, staff, etc. will need to be sent to Steve Gross before start of the 2016-2017 season. Please name your files with the person last name and CDC or NFHS (exampleSagemanCDC or SagemanNFHS).
CDC – YOUTH TRAINING (12 years of age and under)
NFHS– HIGH SCHOOL TRAINING (13-18 years of age)
http://nfhslearn.com/courses/61064/concussion-in-sports (Click order Course)
Forward the concussion certificates to Steve or Wendi Gross
|STATEWIDE - Bryon Center High Scool||8500 Burlingame Ave. SW Bryon Center, MI 49315||Friday||6:00PM – 7:00PM|
|Bryon Center||West Entrance|
|STATEWIDE - Northview High School||4451 Hunsberger NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49525||Friday||6:00PM – 7:00PM|
|Allendale High School||10760 68th Avenue Allendale, MI 49401||Friday||6:00PM to 7:00PM|
|Belding||850 Hall Street Belding, Michigan 48809||Friday||7:30PM to 8:30PM|
|Belding||Next to the High School Football Field|
|Bryon Center High School||8500 Burlingame Ave. SW Bryon Center, MI 49315||Friday||6:00PM – 7:00PM|
|Bryon Center||West Entrance|
|Hart High School||310 300 W Johnson Street, Hart, Michigan 49420||Friday||6:00PM to 7:30PM|
|Hart||Mat Room. Entrance is on South side of gym.|
|Northview High School||4451 Hunsberger NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49525||Friday||6:00PM – 7:00PM|
|Ravenna Middle School||2700 S. Ravenna Rd, Ravenna, MI 49451||Friday||5:30PM to – 7:00PM|
|Muskegon Reeth Puffer Middle School||1911 West Giles Rd. Muskegon, MI 49445||Friday||6:30PM to 7:30PM|
|Muskegon Reeth Puffer||By the Small Gym|
|Steve Gross||Executive Directorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Wendi Gross||Head Paireremail@example.com|
|Karl Nadolsky||Head Refereefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Scott Patrick||Member at Largeemail@example.com|
1. EFFRCTIVE WITH THE GRANDVILLE MYWAY TOURNAMENT SUNDAY JANUARY 8TH, 2017 THE START TIME FOR THE SECOND (2ND) SESSION WILL BE 12:00PM - NOON. THE FIRST SESSION WILL START AT ITS NORMAL TIME 9:00AM.
2. EFFECTIVE WITH THE GRANDVILLE MYWAY TOURNAMENT THERE WILL BE NO ADDING WRESTLERS AFTER 10:00PM THURSDAY NIGHT. ALL WRESTLERS NEED TO BE PRE-REGISTERED BY OR BEFORE THURSDAY NIGHT AT 10PM. REGISTRATION OPENS MONDAY NIGHT. IT HAS BEEN OUR POLICY AND PRACTICE STARTING IN JANUARY WE STOP ADDING WRESTLERS TO TOURNAMENTS. WE ALLOW THE FIRST THREE TOURNAMENTS FOR COACHES, CLUB ADMIN AND PARENTS TO MAKE SURE THEY HAVE NO ISSUES WITH REGISTERING THE WRESTLERS.
3. NO SHOWS. No show fees will be handled the following this year.
Note: Clubs will pay a $5.00 fee for each wrestler that pre-register
and doesn't compete.
Clubs will pay $10.00 for a wrestler who weigh-in
and doesn’t compete in the tournament.
You can pay the no show fee Sunday morning of the tournament
or at weigh ins.
CLUB ADMIN'S, CLUB COACH or CLUB MEMBER will be responsible for making
sure their no show payments are made Sunday morning prior to the start
of the tournament session one & prior to the start of the 2nd session.
In an effort to maintain a SAFE, orderly and enjoyable environment at all MYWAY West Region tournaments, we need parents, spectators and fans to review and follow these simple sportsmanlike behavior.
Our first priority is to provide all MYWAY and MYWAY West Region wrestlers a SAFE and FUN environment where these children to grow. And for all of our fans and spectators to come to watch their favorite wrestlers without distraction.
Is he/she a Novice wrestler?
I will do my very best to give my short version when handling novice questions.
The definition of a novice wrestler has many other variables other than just two years of competition.
Unfortunately, in the past, we found some parents, coaches and clubs miss treating what novice is meant for.
As a result, we came up with something that we felt describes what a novice wrestler is.
Every wrestler is different. Our reasoning is pretty simple the wrestler’s ability to compete at the next level.
This is where we put our faith in the coaches and parents to make the right choice.
Case # 1:
You may have wrestler who has been wrestling for more than 2 or 3 years… and has never won a match or hasn’t been successful in placing in tournaments. Just hasn’t developed or matured yet.
The wrestler likes wrestling, but by the “definition” isn’t considered novice. But their ability and skill is still at the novice level. We have told coached and parents who have wrestlers that have this situation to leave them in novice.
Case # 2:
You may have wrestler who has been wrestling for 1 year… and has won matches and even placed in tournament. The wrestler improves each week.
By nature they are a good athlete. Again by “definition” this wrestler is considered novice. But their ability, skill and aggressiveness is that of an open or advanced wrestler.
In these two of cases the definition really doesn’t apply.
We rely on coaches, helpers and parents to use their judgment. You know the wrestles and their ability and how aggressive they are on the mat.
We believe there are good people who will make the right decision – based on the wrestlers ability, skill level, and aggressiveness competitive level.
Our goal in MYWA and in the west region to provide an opportunity for all wrestlers to wrestle all year at a level where they can have fun and develop.
If a concern is brought to our attention, we will investigate.
Proper protocol for novice questions is to contact your coach or coaches or any questions or concerns is to contact your club administrator or coach and have them answer your question, if they are not able to answer the question or concern, then they can contact Steve Gross, not the parents.